A new version of Wireshark has been released recently by the Wireshark Team, it’s Wireshark 4.0.1, which contains several enhancements, new updates, and bug fixes.
Wireshark is one of the most widely used open-source free software packet analyzers that are currently available on the market, and it is available in a variety of options for different platforms.
There are many people who use Wireshark packet analyzers for the analysis of packets, not just network administrators only. As security analysts also use Wireshark packet analyzers for packet analysis purposes.
Several organizations make use of this tool to manage and monitor all the activities of their business operations on a regular basis.
Wireshark recently released its Wireshark 4.0.0 and the current Wireshark 4.0.1 is a quick update from the previous one.
For all the major platforms or operating systems, the Wireshark 4.0.1 packet analyzer is available and here below we have mentioned them:-
What’s new in Wireshark 4.0.1?
There are several primary purposes for using Wireshark as a network protocol analyzer, including:-
Wireshark 4.0 and later do not have any official 32-bit Windows packages that you can install on your computer. Qt 5.12.2 is now the standard version that ships with Windows installers. The previous version of these packages was Qt 6.2.3, which was shipped by default.
This release removes the experimental syntax for the display filter used in Wireshark 4.0.0 that allowed literals to be displayed just using angle brackets <…>. You can use the colon prefix instead while dealing with byte arrays.
This new version comes with several new bug fixes and here we have mentioned them below:-
- Comparing a boolean field against 1 always succeeds on big-endian machines.
- Qt: MaxMind GeoIP columns not added to Endpoints table.
- Fuzz job crash output: fuzz-2022-10-04-7131.pcap.
- The RTP player might not play audio on Windows.
- Wireshark 4.0 breaks display filter expression with > sign.
- Capture filters not working when using SSH capture and dumpcap.
- Packet diagram field values are not terminated.
- Packet bytes not displayed completely if scrolling.
- Fuzz job crash output: fuzz-2022-10-13-7166.pcap.
- Decoding bug H.245 userInput Signal.
- CFDP dissector doesn’t handle \”destination filename\” only.
- Home page capture button doesn’t pop up capture options dialog.
- Missing dot in H.248 protocol name.
- Missing dot for protocol H.264 in protocol column.
- Fuzz job crash output: fuzz-2022-10-23-7240.pcap.
Updated Protocol Support
Here below we have mentioned all the updated protocol support:-
- ASN.1 PER
- F5 Ethernet Trailer
- IEEE 802.11
- O-RAN FH CUS
While if we talk about the addition of new and updated capture file support, this new version of Wireshark 4.0.1 comes with BLF capture file support.
It’s strongly recommended that users should immediately update their old version to the newly released Wireshark 4.0.1 version. With this update, users can enjoy the newly added features and bug fixes for a smoother and more refined user experience.
Apart from this, you can download the latest version of the application by clicking the following link if you would like to get it.
WireShark Training: Complete Wireshark Network Analysis Bundle – Hands-on course provides complete network analysis Training using Wireshark.